Rich, tender, lightly sweet, and perfumed with the scent of lemons. Lemon Cream Shortcakes pair perfectly with mounds of fresh sweet berries and a big scoop of lightly sweetened heavy whipped cream. Take your summer celebrations to a new level by making this tasty treat for your friends and family.
The key to making really good Lemon Cream Shortcake is using Heavy Cream rather than Whipped Cream. What’s the difference you ask? Whipped Cream contains only 30% to 35% milk fat, where Heavy Cream contains 36% to 40% milk fat. The higher milk fat content will make for a richer and more tender shortcake. The higher fat also provides more stability in the Heavy Cream when whipped than the lower fat Whipped Cream. Of course there is the flavor the Heavy Cream just taste better because of the higher fat content. Remember fat is flavor!
The full instructional video for Lemon Cream Shortcakes is at the bottom of this blog post. Please visit my YouTube Channel and “LIKE” and “SUBSCRIBE” for this and more cooking and baking videos at: http://www.youtube.com/c/justonebiteplease/
- Mixing Bowls
- Measure Cups and Spoons/Digital Baking Scale
- Rubber Spatula
- 1/4-cup Portion Scoop (Ice Cream Scoop)
- 1 Half Sheet Parchment Paper
- 1 Half Sheet Tray
Lemon Sweet Cream Shortcakes (Yields 12)
- Measured Grams Ingredients
- 3 cups 435 g. All Purpose Flour (King Arthur, Unbleached, Unbromated)
- 1/3 cup 72 g. Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp. 6 g. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. 9 g. Sea Salt (fine ground)
- 2 Tbsp. 5 g Lemon Zest
- 1/2 cup 113 g. Butter (unsalted, diced into 1/8-inch pieces)
- 2 cups 454 g. Heavy Cream (cold)
- 2 Tbsp. 9 g. Lemon Juice
Mixing the Shortcakes:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and lemon zest. Mix with the fork to combine.
- Add the diced butter into the dry mixture and toss with your fingers to blend.
- Using your hands. Rub the butter and flour mixture together until the butter is completely blended. (The mixture will hold together when squeezed.)
- Form a well in the center of the dry shortcake mixture.
- Combine the add the lemon juice to the heavy cream and stir to combine with the fork.
- Add the Lemon/Heavy Cream to the well in the center of dry ingredients
- Use a rubber spatula to fold the ingredients together until the ingredients are completely mixed and hydrated
- Scrape down the bowl and form the dough into a single mass.
- Scoop out 12 equally sized shortcakes onto each parchment lined half sheet tray.
- Scrape down the bowl and portion any remaining dough evenly onto the scooped shortcakes.
- Measured Ingredients
- 1 each Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp. Water
- In a bowl combine the egg and water and whisk with a fork to combine well.
- Set aside until need for glazing the Shortcakes.
Finishing and Baking the Scones:
- Egg Wash (from above)
- 1/3 cup Turbinado Sugar (Raw Cane Sugar Crystals)
- Lightly brush the tops of the Lemon Cream Shortcakes with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle each Shortcake top with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake the Shortcakes at 425°F (218°C) for 28 to 30 minutes or until the tops and bottoms are golden brown. Rotating the Shortcake as necessary to bake evenly in your oven.
- Remove the Shortcakes from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and cool to room temperature before splitting and filling.
- Fill with Fresh Berry Filling and mounds of lightly Sweet Whipped Heavy Cream. (Recipes below)
Fresh Berry Filling:
- 1 lb. (454 g.) Strawberries (cleaned, topped, and sliced)
- 1 lb. (454 g.) Blueberries (cleaned and sorted for stems)
- 1/3 cup (67 g.) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. (4 g.) Lemon Juice
- In a bowl combine the strawberries, blueberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice.
- Fold with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Let the fruit stand for 15 minutes to let the strawberries release their juice.
- Fold again to completely dissolve the sugar.
- Refrigerate until needed to fill the Lemon Sweet Cream Shortcakes.
Sweetened Whipped Heavy Cream:
- 2 cups (473 ml.) Heavy Cream (cold, 36% to 40% Milk Fat)
- 1/4 cup (31 g.) Powder Sugar
- 1 tsp. (4 g.) Vanilla Extract
- In a large chilled bowl. Combine the cold heavy cream, powder sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Using a balloon whisk, whip the heavy cream until it forms firm peaks.
- Cover the whipped sweetened heavy cream with plastic wrap and refrigerate until need to fill the Lemon Sweet Cream Shortcakes.