Calling all chocolate lovers! Would you like a brownie with a shiny crackled top, a moist and rich interior that is packed full of deep chocolate flavor and a rich buttery finish? Well, these brownies are sure to please the chocolate lovers in your home. Perfect for the kids bagged lunches or an after-school snack. This recipe is sure to become a favorite treat to make and share with friends and family.
The more the merrier! Three forms of chocolate are used in the recipe to balance the sweetness and to bring more chocolate flavor to the party. The espresso or strong coffee helps to develop and deepen the flavor of the chocolate in the recipe while the addition of the sea salt and pure vanilla extract rounds out the flavor. Sweet cream butter brings richness and added depth of flavor.
A show-stopping dessert that will have them grinning from ear to ear! For a mind-blowing chocolate dessert experience why not take the Chewy Brownies to the next level and serve them with a big scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of caramel or hot fudge. This will make you a big hit in your household.
Stack in a cellophane bag tied with a ribbon for a perfect gift for your friends or family!
NOTE: As with all baking recipe I recommend you weigh the ingredients for the Chewy Brownies. Weighing ensures you have a consistent dough each and every time. As bakers, we are always striving to remove any variables from the process of baking.
- Measuring Cups/Spoons, Digital Scale
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- 13″ x 9″ x 2″ Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray or Butter
Measured Grams Ingredients
- 2 oz. 56 g. Unsweetened Chocolate (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup 56 g. Fresh Espresso Shot or Extra Strong Coffee (Hot)
- ½ cup 54 g. Natural Cocoa Powder
- 2 ea. 2 ea. Egg Yolks (large)
- 2 ea. 2 ea. Eggs (whole large)
- 1 Tbsp. 12 g. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. 8 g. Sea Salt (finely ground)
- 2-½ cups 530 g. Granulated Sugar
- 1-½ cups 332 g. Butter (unsalted, melted and slightly cooled)
- 1-¾ cups 237 g. All Purpose Flour (unbleached, unbromated)
- 8 oz. 227 g. Bittersweet Chocolate 60% – 70% (finely chopped)
- 12 oz. 340 g. *Toasted Walnuts (optional)
Preheating the oven and Preparing the baking pan:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F (176℃) 30 minutes before baking the brownies.
- Prepare the 9″ x 12″ (22cm x 33 cm) baking pan by spraying with nonstick oil or buttering. Line the pan with parchment paper leaving at least 1-inch (2.5cm) overhang on the long sides of the pan to make a sling for easy removal of the brownies once baked and cooled. Spray or butter the parchment paper.
- Set the baking pan aside until needed.
Mixing the Brownie Batter and Baking:
- In a mixing bowl combine the finely chopped unsweetened chocolate and hot espresso shot. Whisk together until smooth and the chocolate is melted.
- Add the cocoa powder, egg yolks, whole eggs, vanilla, and sea salt. Whisk until the chocolate mixture is smooth and fully combined
- Add the granulated sugar to the bowl and whisk until the ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Add the melted butter and whisk until the ingredients are fully blended and smooth.
- Tap off any batter on the whisk and switch to a rubber spatula.
- Add the all-purpose flour to the bowl and fold
to incorporate the ingredients. Beat the brownie batter until smooth
and fully incorporated
- Add the finely chopped bittersweet chocolate (*and walnuts if using) to the batter and fold to blend into the batter. Beat the brownie batter until smooth.
- Pour and scrape the brownie batter from the bowl into the prepared baking pan.
- Smooth the batter out in the pan using a small offset spatula.
- Place the baking pan into the preheated 350° F (176℃) oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Use a toothpick to see of the center of the brownies are set. The toothpick should not have any wet batter on it and should come out clean.
- Remove the pan of brownies from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Cool for 2 hours before removing or cutting the brownies.
- Once cooled loosen the sides of the brownies with a small offset spatula. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper sling and place onto a cutting board.
- Trim the excess parchment paper from the brownies before cutting.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the brownies into 12 or 18 pieces and store in an airtight bag or container for up to 6 days.