As the cooler weather signals the arrival of fall, it also signals the arrival of seasonal baking. The time that cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and clove get to be guest stars in baking recipes greeting us with their aromas and reminding us of the warmth and comfort of home.
What better way to celebrate the changing of the seasons then with a Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake. Moist, buttery rich, dense, and oh so pumpkin packed. This coffee cake will have your friends and family begging for more as they savor the taste of fall in that first bite of spiced heaven. Why just serve it for breakfast or as a coffee treat. Try a thick slice of Spice Pumpkin Coffee Cake with a scoop of Butter Pecan Ice Cream and a drizzle of warm Homemade Caramel Rum Sauce. Anyway you slice it. Fall never tasted so good!
Quick, Easy, and Kid Friendly! This recipe is very quick and easy to make since there is no need to bring any of the ingredients to room temperature before hand. Just make sure you preheat your oven before you start to measure and mixing the ingredients. There is also no need to worry about over mixing the batter. This is a great recipe to get the young ones in your home into the kitchen to help create new baking skills, memories, and holiday traditions to last a lifetime.
As with all baking recipes I recommend you weigh the ingredients for the Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake. Weighing ensures you have a consistent batter each and every time. As a baker we are always striving to remove any variables from the process of baking.
The full instructional video for Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake is at the bottom of this blog post. Follow this link to “LIKE” and “SUBSCRIBE” to my YouTube Channel “Just One Bite, Please?”
- Measuring Cups and Spoons/Electronic Baking Scale
- Small Microwave Proof Bowl
- 8 Quart Mixing Bowl
- French Whisk
- Rubber Spatula
- Nonstick Pan Spray
- Nordic Ware Nonstick Bundt Pan
- Half Sheet Parchment Paper
- Half Sheet Baking Pan
- Cooling Rack
- 2″ Pastry Brush
- Cake Stand or Cake Round
Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Rum Butter Glaze
- Measured Gram Ingredient
- ½ cup 114 g. Butter (unsalted, cut into pieces)
- 1 tsp. 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ½ tsp. Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp. ½ tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. 1/8 tsp. Ground Clove
- ¾ cup 173 g. Granulated Sugar
- ¾ cup 173 g. Dark Muscovado Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. 8 g. Sea Salt (fine)
- 1 tsp. 4 g. Baking Powder
- ½ tsp. 4 g. Baking Soda
- 3 each 3 each Eggs (large)
- ½ cup 114 g. Sour Cream (Daisy)
- 1 can 408 g. Pumpkin (15 oz. can Libby’s)
- 1-¾ cups 227 g. All Purpose Flour (King Arthur)
Mixing the batter:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C) 20 minutes before baking the Spice Pumpkin Coffee Cake.
- In a microwave proof bowl add the butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove. Place the bowl into a microwave and heat on high for 60 to 90 seconds to melt and heat the butter and to bloom the spices. Remove the bowl from the microwave and set the butter/spice mixture aside.
- In the 8 quart mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar, muscovado sugar, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, and sour cream and whisk until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the melted butter/spice mixture to the sugar/egg mixture and whisk again until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the pumpkin to the bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Sift the all purpose flour over the wet ingredients in the bowl and fold to incorporate the flour into the batter. Then whisk the batter until the flour is completely incorporated and the batter is smooth. (Do not worry about over mixing)
- Finish mixing using a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter from the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Spray the inside of the bundt pan with non-stick pan spray. Making sure to spray the interior very well. (You can butter and flour the pan if you don’t have non-stick pan spray.)
- Using a rubber spatula scrape the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Place the filled bundt pan onto a parchment lined half-sheet pan and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake the Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake at 325°F (163°C) on the middle rack for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Remove the bundt pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 15 minutes before inverting on to a cake round or cake stand.
- Invert the coffee cake onto a cake stand or cake round. Brush the warm coffee cake with the Rum Butter Glaze (Recipe below).
- Cool Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake completely to room temperature before slicing and serving.
- For an extra treat serve with a spoonful of lightly sweetened whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce.
Note: Store the cooled Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake at room temperature covered with plastic wrap for up to 5 days. The coffee cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving
Rum Butter Glaze
- Measured Gram Ingredient
- ¼ cup 56 g. Butter (melted, unsalted)
- 1/3 cup 56 g. Powder Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. 26 g. Dark Rum (Myers’s)
- Combine the melted butter, powder sugar, and dark rum and whisk together until smooth.
- Brush the glaze over the warm coffee cake.