Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Rum Butter Glaze
As the cooler weather signals the arrival of fall, it also signals the arrival of seasonal baking. The time that cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and clove get to be guest stars in baking recipes. Greeting us with their aromas and reminding us of the warmth and comfort of home.
What better way to celebrate the changing of the seasons then with a Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake. Moist, buttery rich, dense, and oh so pumpkin packed this coffee cake will have your friends and family begging for more as they savor the taste of fall in that first bite of spiced heaven. Why just serve it for breakfast or as a coffee treat. Try a thick slice of Spice Pumpkin Coffee Cake with a scoop of Butter Pecan Ice Cream and a drizzle of warm Homemade Caramel Rum Sauce.
Anyway you slice it. Fall never tasted so good!
- 8 Quart Mixing Bowl
- Pyrex Measuring Cup (microwave proof)
- Rubber Spatula
- Measuring Cups and Spoons/Electronic Baking Scale
- Nordic Ware Nonstick Bundt Pan
- Nonstick Pan Spray
- Cooling Rack
- 1″ Pastry Brush
Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Butter Rum Glaze
- Measured Weight Gram Ingredient
- 1/2 cup 0.25 lb. 114 g. Butter (unsalted)
- 1 tsp. 1 tsp. 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. 1/8 tsp. 1/8 tsp. Ground Clove
- 3/4 cup 0.38 lb. 173 g. Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup 0.38 lb. 173 g. Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. 1-1/2 tsp. 1-1/2 tsp. Sea Salt (fine)
- 1 tsp. 1 tsp. 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 3 each 3 each 3 each Eggs (large)
- 1/2 cup 0.25 lb. 114 g. Sour Cream (Daisy)
- 1 3/4 cups 0.90 lb. 408 g. Pumpkin (15 oz. can Libby’s)
- 1 3/4 cups 0.50 lb. 227 g. All Purpose Flour (King Arthur)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F 20 minutes before baking the Spice Pumpkin Coffee Cake.
- Spray the inside of the bundt pan nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a Pyrex measuring cup add the butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove. Place the bowl into a microwave and heat on high for 60 to 90 seconds to melt the butter and warm and bloom the spices. Remove the measuring cup from the microwave and set aside.
- In the 8 quart mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar, muscovado sugar, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, and sour cream and whisk until the mixture become smooth and lighter in appearance.
- Add the melted butter/spice mixture to the sugar/egg mixture and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add the pumpkin to the bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Sift the all purpose flour over the wet ingredients and whisk until the flour is completely incorporated and the batter is smooth. (Do not worry about over mixing)
- Using a rubber spatula scrape the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake the coffee cake in the preheated oven at 325°F on the middle rack for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the center of the batter and it comes out clean.
- Remove the bundt pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes before inverting on to a cake round or cake stand.
- Invert the coffee cake onto a cake stand or cake round. Brush the warm coffee cake with the Rum Butter Glaze (Recipe Below). Cool to room temperature.
- Store the cooled Spiced Pumpkin Coffee Cake at room temperature covered with plastic wrap for up to 4 days. The coffee cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 1/3 cup Powder Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Dark Rum (Myers’s)
- Combine the melted butter, powder sugar, and dark rum and whisk together until smooth.
- Brush the glaze over the warm coffee cake